Note: Due to the amount of SPAM received in the forums and to better serve our customers, support is now done by sending a message using the "Contact" link above . This forum is set to read-only, but you can still search the forum.

Zap Weather Questions and Comments
  • Page:

TOPIC: error in zweather.class.php line 831

error in zweather.class.php line 831 14 years 10 months ago #122

• thodgen
  • Fresh Boarder
I had a failure in zweather.class.php that took a web site down today. I've had to disable the module to get it working again.

Here is the error - Fatal error: Call to a member function getTagName() on a non-object in /home/content/w/a/r/warights/html/nwaims/components/com_zweather/zweather.class.php on line 831

I suspect when looking at the code that it is a failure of one of the RSS feeds. However, it seems that an RSS feed failure shouldn't create an issue of this type, but maybe display old data, or some default data.

Can you confirm if this is indeed the issue, and is there a workaround for this issue planned? Otherwise, I'm afraid I can't keep this running on this site and I can't risk it taking the site down again.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:error in zweather.class.php line 831 14 years 10 months ago #123

• kumfish
  • Fresh Boarder
I had the same happen today as well. I unistalled/reinstalled multiple time only to get the same blank screen with the same error. It seems it is only with the module as the menu link to the complete forcast works but if I try to add a new module it crashes that particular page with the error screen.

I also notice that my zip code does not pull up the lat and long coordinates today, I had to manually add them. Not sure what happened but something changed.

Advice? I really want to use this weather module on my front page!!!!!

Re:error in zweather.class.php line 831 14 years 10 months ago #124

• thodgen
  • Fresh Boarder
It would seem then that there is a common rss feed that is pulled that has failed. It might be the National Weather service, or one of its local stations that we have in common.

Mine are set to Idaho weather stations. So, the changes are pretty good that it is something related to either a national site, or the developers site itself if they have links to content at their site.

Re:error in zweather.class.php line 831 14 years 10 months ago #125

• cogliano
  • Thank you received: 58
I just got an e-mail from a NWS mailing list and it reports there are problems today with the feeds originating at the NWS. Be patient and hopefully the problems will disappear when the problem is resolved.

From the e-mail:
Hi Folks,

We've been fighting a database problem on the NWS (hq) farm. In the
course of dealing it, we've had the site up and down several times
today. This should only be impacting the SOAP/REST service for brief
periods, however, any of the services that query the zip code database
will not be working.

This has also impacted the updating of the CAP/watch/warning and current
observation feeds.

Bob

Re:error in zweather.class.php line 831 14 years 10 months ago #126

• kumfish
  • Fresh Boarder
As of yesterday evening the weather was working again.

Re:error in zweather.class.php line 831 14 years 10 months ago #128

• thodgen
  • Fresh Boarder
This would be a good suggestion for enhancements to the product. When the NWS site is down, and the RSS feed can not be retrieved, rather than crashing as it was, to have an error loop that demonstrates that NWS is out of commission or that the data is not currently accurate due to a network failure.

I think it would go a long way to helping the web site itself remain manageable.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds